There were two rail lines originating out of Rural Hall in 1888, Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad and Richmond and Danville Railroad. In 1910, the Rural Hall Depot was built as a replacement for the original depot the railroads had shared since starting both passenger and freight service in 1888. The Rural Hall Depot offered passenger service until 1955 and continued to provide freight services until Southern Railway moved operations to a new facility nearby. Operations at what is now the Rural Hall Historic Train Depot officially closed in 1980. On the verge of being torn down, Rural Hall residents and business owners D.J. and Alene Redding adopted the building and had it moved to a new site. Since then the Depot has been restored and is a family legacy for the late Mr. and Mrs. Redding.
Today, the Rural Hall Historic Train Depot operates as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving the community and railroad enthusiasts. The Depot is a registered historical site and houses a museum of railroad artifacts and collectibles. We open our doors to the community by hosting special seasonal events as well as making the Depot available for private events. We are managed by our community board members and supported by monetary and time donations from dedicated volunteers.